Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Oval Room- January 2012 Restaurant Week.

Monday was a day of mixed emotions: it was a long day at work, Uncle Sam decided he wanted a hefty sum back from my 2008 tax refund, and I got reamed out by a priest. Yep, a priest. After some tears, and a few walks around K Street, my day was salvaged by a long overdue date with Sumita & Kathleen. Sumita was my savior and whisked me off to the Bottom Line (affectionately known as the BL) for a few glasses of pinot grigio before our 7:30 reservations. Kathleen joined us, and two women and a little baby (me) went to the Oval Room for dinner. It's restaurant week, so you know what the means: smaller portions, crowds and a limited menu. It does give you the excuse to try a nicer restaurant, but the "deal" at $35.20 for three courses quickly becomes $65 after some wine and a tip. So is it really a deal, when Monday nights usually consist of soccer and whatever I can whip together quickly for dinner? Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and it is always fun to go out to dinner, I'm just counting pennies here.

My three courses:
Appetizer: Goat cheese Custard, Cherry Marmalade, cracked pepper, arugula
I wanted to love this. I love goat cheese and pretty much anything custard, but I thought it was going to be over a bed of arugula, when I may have had one leaf. The sweetness of the cherry marmalade cut through the richness of the custard, but I still felt like I was eating spoonfuls of an alfredo sauce. I  barely ate during the day, so though I did not love it, I definitely ate it all.

Entree: Sea Scallops, Orange Puree, and potato crisp
I love scallops, and did enjoy this course. One of my scallops was a little gritty, but they were cooked pretty well with a nice sear and not overdone. The orange puree was a nice way to lighten up the dish ( do I see a trend, my Rockfish from Smith Commons this week had orange accents as well!). I had to substitute the accompaniment (vegetable couscous) and so I got a potato crisps which basically tasted like waffle house hash browns. There is a time and place for this, and next to my scallops is not that time/place. I think the waiter should have suggested something else? I was excepting more of a skillet potato.
Sumita had the Rockfish, with spaghetti squash and chili oil. The fish was cooked perfectly and there was a wonderful harmony between the sweetness of the squash and the chili oil.
Kathleen had the flat iron steak which was perfectly cooked, tender and seasoned very well.

Desert:Coconut Custard with some citrus highlights
The exact description is not up on the Oval Room's website, but it was a nice light way to end the meal.

The atmosphere is quiet and intimate, although a little dark for my liking. The service was attentive, although our waiter did not have much knowledge with respect to gluten free issues. He did check in with the chef, but I believe he was misinformed. We had a nice bottle of pinot grigio, but it was nothing to write home about.

I have dined at the Oval Room before and I have always been satisfied, but not blown away. I'm sure I will return due to the close proximity of my office, however, I may not for restaurant week.

No comments:

Post a Comment