Monday, January 9, 2012

Date night- H Street Style

Luis and I try to save "Date nights" for special occasions. Well you know what? This past Friday it was time for a night out on the town to relax and treat ourselves. Our original (and cheaper) plan of sharing a pot of mussels was squashed when we went to Granville Moores and they told us that there was a 2.5 hour wait! The bad news: I was craving mussels. The good news: our house is right in the heart of H street, and long waits mean popularity and further development, which is great for our property value.


We started off the night at Fruit Bat. I had a "groupon" ( I call all deal sites groupons). So while we had to wait over an hour for our table at Smith Commons, we popped across the street for a few cocktails. I had two ginger Caiprowska. They were delicious, just the perfect amount of sweetness, and went down a little too easy.  Luis had some Jamison on the rocks. It seems as though the H Street restaurants are pretty tolerant with you leaving while you are waiting for your table, because they ask you for your cell phone numbers instead of those restaurant pagers. Normally, I would stay for drinks at Smith Commons, because they are devine, but we had this voucher that was expiring shortly, so we checked out Fruit Bat and I am glad that we did.
  
Photo Credit: We love DC
For dinner, I had the Chesapeake Rock fish served with a Crab Risotto. The dish was flawless. It was the perfect portion of fish with crispy skin, rich crab risotto and some burst of flavor with the orange chutney. I was in heaven. Luis had the braised short ribs, which were very tender and accompanied by a pickled relish. He had the green beans as well, which I couldn't taste as they contained soy sauce. For desert with split a flourless chocolate cake with jalapeno ice cream. It was the perfect balance and reminded me of dark chocolate bars with chili flakes in them.

After the crazy week we had between work and wedding planning, it was really nice to have a good meal and spend some qt together.

No comments:

Post a Comment